Sunday, May 27, 2012

Family

What make a family?  Is it blood? A piece of paper from the courthouse? A lifelong friend?

I'm not sure....mostly people think of family as a constant...something permanent....but is it?  When family members die, are they still your family?  If your family is a group of soldiers who have been through hell with you, do they cease to be your family once the white flags are flown?  I don't know.....

How many people are "family" by blood and hurt one another beyond forgiveness....how many people out there don't know who their birth parents are? 

I love my "blood" family, but I also have friends who are my "family", they are invited to all our events, show up without an invite and help themselves to my refrigerator.  Now that I'm in a new place, are the people who assume I spend holidays with them, look after me when I'm sick or too drunk, make sure I get home safe, considered my current "family".

I don't know.....but I'm thankful for all of them.









No comments:

Post a Comment